Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Homemade Tahini and Hummus

Last week while visiting Hallee The Homemaker she posted on how to make your own Tahini Paste.  We all know how expensive tahini paste is!  I can't believe I didn't think of this, can you?  Super easy recipe 2 ingredients!

So today I decided to make some hummus, but first I would have to make some tahini.  Found the recipe, and that was when I realized I didn't have enough sesame seeds!  So  I thought ok I will half the recipe...but then I remembered Hallee also posted recipe that same day to make Sunflower Seed Substitute Tahini Paste !  Well ok!   I have sunflower seeds!  With both sesame seeds and sunflower seeds I still was a bit short.  So I adjusted the oil a little and I made Sesame/Sunflower (tahini)paste!  Mmmm yummy!  No more buying expensive tahini!  Hallee says that the jar should last about 3months in the fridge...but I really don't think my jar will last that long.

Sesame/Sunflower (tahini)paste
  • 1cup toasted sesame seeds
  • 1cup toasted sunflower seeds
  • 1/2cup olive oil 
Put all ingredients into food processor, whirl till mixed!
This is the best tasting Tahini ever!  I am totally addicted to this!  So easy, so yummy!  You really got to try it!


Hummus
I do not have an amazing must make recipe for hummus...Yet.  I just throw in the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and today I tried seasoning with cumin.  Nothing special but still yummy.  Do you have a good hummus recipe?  Let me know!

Sharing with Ultimate Recipe Swap hosted by Life as a Mom.

20 comments:

Marsha said...

I do the same thing when I make hummus - a little of this, a little of that, until it tastes the way I want it to. Cumin is a must for me. I just add some until I'm happy with it. One of these days I'll write it down!

hallee@halleethehomemaker.com said...

That is awesome that you were able to make the sunflower seed tahini! I thought people would think I was crazy - lol - but it's a wonderful flavor for hummus.

Thank you so much!
Hallee

Kristin said...

How great to know about making your own tahini! I can never bring myself to buy the expensive jar knowing that I'm only using a few tablespoons. Now I have a wonderful alternative! Thanks :-)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

This is fantastic! I hate buying tahini and I usually just skip it and add a bit of sesame oil. I will try the homemade version. I just made a black bean hummus tonight for dinner. Super yum. I usually do what you do though, just throw a bunch of stuff together and call it hummus. :-)

Beth said...

Someone gave me a tip that you can add yogurt to the garbanzo beans in order to get a creamier texture (in place of the tahini). I tried that with some of my failed coconut milk yogurt and it was delicious! This would be helpful if you decide you wanted a little different flavor in place of the tahini. Also try adding roasted red peppers, spinach and/or artichokes. Mmmmmm!

Angie said...

Beth - Those are great idea's. I was wanting to try using roasted red peppers. I think I will try the yogurt idea. I love trying new things! Thanks Beth!

Miss Fit said...

I love both. Thanks for sharing! Tahini is good in shakes too.

Liz said...

I've been on the lookout for a fabulous hummus recipe too - please share if you try one that is awesome!

Lisa said...

How interesting! Tahini is really expnesive so this is great alternative! Thanks for the tip!

The Saved Quarter said...

My daughter can't have sesame (or olive oil, or most spices :( ) so I did hummus today with roasted cauliflower and garlic, canola oil, parsley, and chickpeas. I added pepper and lemon to mine and it was delicious!

Ginger said...

Thank you so much! Been dying to try this recipe for Smoky Chipotle Hummus (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Smoky-Chipotle-Hummus/Detail.aspx) but couldn't find tahini in here locally (small town). Now I don't have to wait for an out of town shopping trip to spend too much on something I can make!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Great tip! I love hummus and will definitely try this.

Holly said...

That's a really great idea! I never thought of making my own tahini at all, so it's good to know there's that alternative. I just make hummus w/o the tahini because I didn't want to buy it.
Thanks so much for linking up to my party!

Melissa said...

I've never made hummus or tahini, although I like both. This looks like it's worth a try. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I looove hummus, but have never made my own. Thanks for the tips. :) I'm visiting from Holly's party. :)

Miel Abeille said...

I am definitely trying this recipe! Homemade tahini paste?! It sounds so exotic to make it myself!

If only I had a great Hummus recipe to share! I'll search for one. :)

hillsideslide said...

Hi, I'm new here.

I like to put spinach in my hummus- turns it a nice green.

Sometimes I add artichoke hearts.

Although I've seen some expensive tahini, Walmart has it for semi-cheap. -in case you're out of sunflower seeds sometime ;)

Betsy Escandon said...

I have a super yummy hummus recipe (2 versions -- with canned garbanzo and with garbanzo flour) here:
http://eco-novice.blogspot.com/2010/05/frugal-friday-make-your-own-hummus.html

Miel Abeille said...

This weekend, I made the tahini paste using sunflower seeds. It was amazing! I can't believe how affordable the price! Then, I made a spicy red pepper hummus. It was really yummy! Thanks for the inspiration!

Angie said...

Oh I am so glad that you tried it! I am going to try making a "raw" hummus as soon as my chickpeas have sprouted. I have just enough tahini from this batch to make it. Then I will have to make some more! So yummy!