Monday, May 31, 2010

Pizza Pockets!

Pizza Pockets

I was so surprised at how well these turned out!  I was disappointed when the pockets didn't stay sealed...but after tasting them it didn't matter.  These are so tasty!  The bread is soft and yummy!  I think I may try to add garlic to the dough next time.  So much fun for the kids to make there own too!

 Ingredients
  • 4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tbls yeast
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 2 tbls olive oil
  • 1 1/3 cups warm water

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Combine wet ingredients in a big measuring cup.
Add the wet to the dry...stir, then kneed.
Wash bowl with warm water and dry.
Let dough rest in warm covered bowl for 20 mins.
Separate into 8 balled pieces.  Keep them covered till ready to roll them out.
Roll each ball out and fill with fave pizza toppings!  Fold and close!
Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 15 mins.
Let cool and Enjoy!

16 comments:

Kate Pantier @ Mommy Monologues said...

This looks very yummy!!! I'm adding it to my recipe list for the week!

Dallas said...

Gah! Something else I'm gonna need to try! :-)

Michelle said...

These sound delicious. :) And just what I was looking for later this week.

Brook said...

I agree that these do look good! We aren't at the point yet where we use 100% whole wheat, still at least 1/2 white whole wheat flour. But, I've found that letting the dough rest for 15 minutes after you've rolled it out helps. Then cut rounds out with a biscuit cutter or large mouthed jar, add the ingredients to one round and top with another, then seal.

SnoWhite said...

awesome! mine also don't usually stay sealed -- I've tried folding the bottom "lip" up and over the top "lip" to seal and have had some success.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Yummy! I need to make some of these. :D


Thank you for sharing! Have a great day!
Sherry

Ginger said...

Looks good! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Ginger
SSB

Unknown said...

Oh there are so many great tasty Tuesday recipes today!

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

I made something similar only I called them pizza bites because they were smaller. And for the commenter above who isn't ready for all whole wheat I would suggest using King Arthur's White Whole Wheat flour. It is wonderful and you cannot hardly tell that you are using whole wheat.

Chels said...

Looks yummy, and EASY! Pizza pockets were always my favorite hot lunch in elementary school. Thanks for the recipe!

Brook said...

Extraordinary Ordinary Life - thanks for the comment. I should have been more clear. We use 1/2 white while wheat (King Arthurs or Trader Joes brand) and 1/2 whole wheat. :)

Brenda said...

These are so yummy! I love them!

B said...

That seems simple enough for me to give it a try!

the country cook said...

Excellent idea! I used to buy pizza pockets all the time, but these seem so much healthier! - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

Debbie said...

These look delicious, I'll have to bookmark the recipe so I can try it on our next no-meat day!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

These look really delicious - and what a great way to make pizza healthy!