Monday, July 19, 2010

Zucchini Pizza

So I saw this awesome recipe on a great blog I follow (SnoWhites, Finding Joy in my Kitchen) and absolutely loved it!  I just couldn't wait to try it!  This is habit of mine.  And is one of the reasons why I am so terrible at meal planning.
I was just given a huge zucchini that morning from a neighbor of mine and thought it would be perfect for this recipe.  As I was jumping in to this recipe I realized that I didn't have all the necessary ingredients.  So I started substituting.  Unfortunately my substitutions were not the best.  My crust was sogy it just didn't set right so in the end I basically made a zucchini casserole.  While it was edible it was not in any way good enough to share my altered recipe.  Lets just say I wouldn't make it again.  See pic.  Big fail in the appetizing look category!   
But I still plan to make SnoWhites recipe, that I am sharing with you today.  When I have all the correct ingredients that is!.
Please hop over to Finding Joy in my Kitchen  to see her beautiful how to pics and finished product pic!  This recipe is all SnoWhites not altered in any way by me.

Zucchini "Pizza" - Adapted from Lynn's Kitchen Adventure

"Crust"
  • 4 C shredded zucchini
  • 2 C cooked brown rice
  • 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 eggs
Filling
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1 1/2 C spaghetti sauce
  • 1 tsp. oregano*
  • 1/2 tsp.salt*                                                                                              My Zucchini Casserole, doesn't look to appetizing.
Topping
  • 1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

*You may not need to add these spices if your spaghetti sauce already has them!
  1. Shred the cheese and zucchini.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the cooked rice, shredded zucchini, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
  3. Add in the eggs and mix well.
  4. Press into a 9x13 glass baking dish.
  5. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes until the crust is lightly browned.
  6. Meanwhile, brown the ground turkey; drain.
  7. Stir in the tomato sauce.
  8. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until warmed through.
  9. Then, spread the spaghetti sauce mixture over the crust.
  10. Top with shredded cheese.
  11. Continue baking at 400 for 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and brown.
  12. Enjoy! 

    10 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    That looks great!

    I think I can omit the turkey for tofu so will def give this a go!

    Thanks for sharing

    Trish @ A dream body for trish said...

    This sounds lovely, I think I might also give it a try. Thanks!!!

    Sarah said...

    Lovely blog Angie, I am inspired by healthy salads and using market fresh seasonal veg. Just come upon your blog, will be back!

    Sarah

    Priscilla said...

    Hah, woot gluten free food. :) Looks good actually.

    Ingrid said...

    Zucchini pizza! Sounds yummy!

    Laura Barros (Soleflor Mom) said...

    I arrived to your blog through BlogFrog. I find your blog quite interesting so I connect to your Google Connect, Facebook Page and I add your feed to my feedreader.

    I love Zucchini and I love pizza but I never combined both in the same meal. I must confess I never tried brown rise but there is always a first time.

    Anonymous said...

    angie, hate to admit it, but there is very little that is healthy about me! ;) good for you!

    Trina said...

    Well it certainly looks good even if your substitutions didn't work out.

    Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

    OH MY WORD---YUM!
    I come to your blog when I need healthy ideas and I got yet another one!!
    Thank you, Angie!!
    Big hug!

    Kathy Adams said...

    I love zucchini in any way, shape or form. I definitely have to give this one a try.

    Love your blog! You have a new follower!!!!

    Kathy