Thursday, March 25, 2010

Carrot Bread

I am still on my quest to make a yummy carrot bread!  So I just bought a fresh bag of carrots,  I figure out if I have all the ingredients, when I realize my son has cooked up all my eggs!  But surely you can substitute eggs with something else?  So I google and find that yes you can!  There were so many to choose from...so I chose the easiest one, milk :)
So while I wait for the bread to bake I will tell you what I did.

Ingredients
1 1/2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 cup Walnuts
1/2 cup Raisins

I mixed all of the above together in a big mixing bowl, and in a big measuring cup I mixed the below ingredients.
 
1 cup of carrots shredded - I shredded 2 carrots and it was a bit more over a cup...oh well :)
1/2 cup of apple sauce
150 ml milk
3/4 cup Agave Syrup (or you can use 1cup of sugar)

Pour in to dry ingredient and mix well.  I decided at this point to throw in some unsweetened shredded coconut...let say 1/4 cup just for fun...
As you know I do not have a loaf pan so I poured the batter into a greased casserole dish...threw it in a 350 preheated oven...and now I am waiting  :)

So checked it about 20min in, and realized that I forgot to sprinkle the sunflower seeds on!  So sprinkled them on.  But it didn't work they all are just loose on top :(  oh well.  I baked it for 40-45 mins.

It turned out a bit heavy, but it is so very yummy!  I think next time I may try using yeast to make it more like bread. I would describe this recipe as a not very sweet carrot cake.  But all in all....the kids love it so I would say it was successful!

2 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That actually sounds really good!!! I like carrot cake, so why not carrot bread? ;) Thanks for stopping by to enter my Giveaway today. Hope you'll come visit again soon. :)

Unknown said...

This is really a must try healthy food recipe. I love carrot cake too, this one looks very yummy. Thanks for the great and healthy food recipes.