I love lasagna! So I decided to try substituting meat for lentils in my recipe. It worked out well, but next time I am going to add more veggies to it as it was a bit plain.
2 cups dried lentils boiled in a lots of water, drained
2 jars spaghetti sauce
onion, mushrooms, peppers, carrots, zucchini, use what you have in the fridge or none at all.
tub of cottage cheese
egg or 2
spinach (if frozen drain all excess liquid/if fresh fry in pan with little water till wilted, drain)
shredded cheese as much as you like
9"by13" casserole dish
1. Boil noodles as per instructions 12 should work depending on size of dish.
2. Mix lentils with one jar of sauce in a bowl add in any extra veggies.
3. Beat with blender cottage cheese, egg or 2, and spinach. If you have lots of cheese add it too!
4. Using second jar of sauce, spread a layer of just sauce in casserole dish.
5. Lay down 3(or whatever fits)noodles then layer half of lentil mixture.
6. Lay down row of noodles, layer all of cottage cheese mixture.
7. Lay down row of noodles, layer rest of Lentil mixture.
8. Lay down row of noodles, rest of second jar sauce.
9. Add shredded cheese!
Cook at preheated 350 oven for an hour...best to make ahead then freeze then cook again from frozen(for some reason it just tastes better) I usually make 2 at a time, 1 to eat now and the 2nd to freeze. Can substitute lentils for beef or chicken...I use left over roasts or chicken and ground it up with a food processor all the time.
I am a stay at home mom of 2 teenagers. We are flexitarians. I love to cook and create in my kitchen and being healthy is very important to me! If you would like to contact me by email here is the address.