Saturday, October 2, 2010

Slow Cooker Saturday: Chicken Broth

Slow Cooker Chicken Broth does take some time but tastes so great!   And it is so easy too!

  1. After you have a nice dinner of roast chicken, remove meat from carcass. 
  2. Put the carcass into a large crock pot and fill with water.  Simmer overnight on low.  You can throw in any veggies in to flavor the broth...celery, onion, carrot, etc.
  3. In the morning strain broth and pull any meat off the bones to put in your soup and discard soggy veggies. 
  4. Put broth in the fridge,  when it cools you can skim off the fat.
  5. Now it is ready to use in your soup recipe!
Do you have a great slow cooker recipe?  Come join the fun and link up to Slow Cooker Saturdays!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I have always wanted to make my own broth or stock, but always thought it was way too difficult. This looks really simple! Plus, it's a more healthy option because I know exactly what's going in it. I don't have to worry about sodium levels or preservatives. Thanks for linking up!!! :)

Feisty Crone said...

I like this recipe. Thank you so much!

LJ said...

I just happened upon your blog through Foodie Blogroll! You could make your broth even one step easier: cook the whole chicken in the crockpot! I just thunk a bird in the pot, put the lid on and cook it for 8 hours on low. It makes its own lovely juices and the meat falls off the bone. I take out all the meat and continue on with your recipe (but I add a splash of vinegar to soften the bones and extract all the calcium).

The Zany Housewife said...

I've never made chicken broth/stock in the crockpot before! I'll definitely have to give this a try.

Eastlyn and co. said...

How easy is this?! I have always felt a little guilty about the amount of meat left on a carcass after having rotisserie chicken for dinner. This is an excellent way to ensure that nothing goes to waste. Thanks for sharing. I love crockpot recipes.