Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Prickly Pear (Cactus Fruit)

Have you ever tried a prickly pear? Also known as Optunia.  First thing you need to be aware of this fruit is grown on a cactus so it does have many prickles that do hurt if you get pricked.  Be very careful when handling.  Perhaps use a produce bag as a "glove"
To prepare...just cut in half and scoop out the insides with a spoon.
The inside of the fruit is full of seeds.  We just cut it into chunks and ate the seeds...if you don't like eating seeds this may not be the fruit for you.

Prickly pear provides essential nutrients. It is also a source of carbohydrates and is an excellent source of antioxidants, having substantial amounts of vitamin C. 
Some of the health benefits associated with prickly pear:
  • Immune support
  • Diabetes
  • Obesity
  • Helps manage cholesterol
Some of the nutrients found in prickly pear cactus:
Flavonoids | Pectin | Vitamin A | Vitamin B | Vitamin C

A short video of finding prickly pear and how to eat.  I do find it easier to just cut in half and scoop insides out then peeling.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Actually, I just served this fruit on a fruit platter at a recent Tupperware party that I had. It added a very different color to the platter, but the seeds were a bit harder and larger than the guests were used to apparently.. It did go well with the Fruit Dip though that I served with it.

shelly said...

You're my kind of people.

L.A.C.E. said...

My 4 year old saw the video and said "mmm that's awicious". He hasn't even tasted it yet lol

on that note they do look yum.

Panamamama said...

I love the juice but never have tried to scoop one myself. Now I might! Thanks!

ben said...

nice post ..blog looks awesome ..i followed u n u do the same http://www.travelnlife.com/

moogaroon said...

So - my daughter loves prickly pear - and it makes a nice treat for her when we go to the grocery store - its under $1 to buy one, and she is so happy when I say "Yes!" The best thing I have heard about them - is that they actually lower blood sugar levels. So your kids comes home from a birthday party full of sugary treats - and in a funky mood? Give them some prickly pear, and it will reduce the sugar high, and cushion the inevitable sugar low... And now I know all the other benefits! Thanks, Angie ;)